Monday, January 16, 2012

'Tis so sweet...

   This morning I read Psalm 16, since today is the sixteenth day of the month. And, it's quite possible that it is my new favorite Psalm. Maybe even chapter in the whole Bible. Lately, I've had an especially hard time trusting God with my future - both near and far, in the big things and in the minutia. It's easy to get into the mindset of, "It's my life, I'll act the way I want." But that's the way the world thinks. I mean, really; just watch a commercial break during your favorite tv show. It's nearly inescapable. The world doesn't have any concept of trusting someone else for your "destiny" or future. But we do!! And that's what I've been wrestling with lately. The spirit is so very willing, but the flesh is oh so weak. It's easy to pray for help to surrender and trust in our loving Father, only to find myself worrying about this, that or the next thing just a few minutes later, as though I had never prayed to the most trustworthy Friend I could ever have.


   As a friend recently posted on facebook, echoing my own thoughts: Scripture is so refreshing and uplifting. In reading in the Psalms this morning, I was so comforted. I was gently and unwaveringly assured that I can trust my God with the life He gave me. 

     "Keep me safe, O God, for in you I take refuge. I said to the LORD, “You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.” As for the saints who are in the land, they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight. The sorrows of those will increase who run after other gods. I will not pour out their libations of blood or take up their names on my lips. LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the LORD always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy one see decay. You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand."

   When Christ was in the garden, he prayed, "Not my will, but thine be done." Oh, that this would be my constant prayer! 

   A couple of days ago the hymn "'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus" came to mind, and I haven't been able to get it out since (not that I want to :) ); the above passage and the old hymn are a good pair. I hope and pray they bless you as they've blessed me. :)

’Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at His Word;
Just to rest upon His promise,
And to know, “Thus saith the Lord!”

Refrain:
Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er;
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh, for grace to trust Him more!

Oh, how sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to trust His cleansing blood;
And in simple faith to plunge me
’Neath the healing, cleansing flood!

Yes, ’tis sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just from sin and self to cease;
Just from Jesus simply taking
Life and rest, and joy and peace.

I’m so glad I learned to trust Thee,
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend;
And I know that Thou art with me,
Wilt be with me to the end.

   [Casting Crowns' version of the hymn: 

   Any discussion on this topic cannot go without mentioning Jeremiah 29; so, to close, verses 11-13. I pray these verses of Scripture and song encourage your heart.
    
   "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."



No comments:

Post a Comment